We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The "Hoax"

I found this video on Stumbleupon and found it really interesting. It was produced by the creators of South Park, as the animation might imply. Regardless, I think it says a lot about the underlying emotional and psychological factors that drive us to succeed in the education system. The video describes the hoax of education which is that we are pushed through grade after grade, always looking forward, but never living in the moment. Looking forward to the end of the semester, I can't help but believe this "hoax." This year, along with my first two years at PSU have gone by so fast and I'm not quite sure how much I can say for it. Anyway, I hope the link works, Enjoy!

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2dOH8G/www.neticons.net/music_life/

1 comment:

Kyle said...

This video is very interesting and the concept is one I believe in as well. I think that most people are always thinking about the future and are driving themselves crazy and not enjoying their youth. I act with the end in mind as well, but I also try to enjoy each day as well. As you mentioned I can't believe how fast the past few years went, every time I think about my birthday and turning 23 I get scared, because it seems like yesterday I was 21. Overall, I try to make the most out of my opportunities, for work and fun, now because I will never be in the same position again.