We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Addicted or Adapted?

After reading the New York Times article on America's youth being "addicted" to technology, it made me stop to analyze my own device usage. In the article, ut discussed how students can multi-task with various devices but fail to push that same sort of attention and skill toward academics. While reading this article, I realized that since I was reading the article from my laptop, I was logged into my Facebook, Twitter, and Yammer account along with checking the weather and selecting songs on my iPod with my cell phone by my side. I checked each item periodically for any updates on the homepage while reading.

It's not that I have difficulty reading, it's just if I'm not intrigued with what I am reading, I think of all the possible tasks I can be doing. Honestly, while I was reading this article, I sidetracked and realized that I forgot to take my medicine for my strep and check for the weather forecast of tomorrow. And writing this blog, I am still checking for any recent updates on my accounts. By performing all these different tasks, I feel productive. If I sit to focus on one assignment, I keep thinking of the other assignments I can complete if I do them all at once.

The article discusses how this form of multitasking isn't good for any student, but in this generation of advanced technology, we need to be able to function with all of them. Watching television and playing video games are forms of distraction, separate from productiveness. Those are meant to distract us from reality. It may seem that way for a computer with Facebook and such, but at least the computer has the programs and files that can make one productive.

Maybe I'm just speaking for myself and not for all students, but when I'm operating technology, I feel like a hamster in a wheel. I can accomplish so much if I continue in a constant motion, but when I stop to take a breather, I lose track of what I need to get done. Every day I have a set schedule. With caffeine to assist me, I walk all over campus running errands and attending classes. But once I receive that one text message from a friend to meet up for lunch, I figure I deserve a break to sit down and relax for an hour or so. And within that hour of doing basically nothing, I become lazy and need to motivate myself to continue on with my day.

I probably look like a technology addict with my iPod and cell phone all in one hand and operating them with my other hand, while drinking coffee wearing my sunglasses and carrying my books on my way to class. And it's probably a very addict thing to say that I'm in a zone when I'm surrounded by technology. But the reason why I would seem this way is because of those adults who aren't fully adapted with the technology of today. My mom would complain of how much time I spend on my phone with texting but when she gets on the computer to check her mail, she looks like she has never maneuvered a keyboard before.

I remember taking computer classes in middle school and high school where they trained us how to successfully operate a computer and even how to type without looking at the keyboard. It was like that course was meant to make us one with the computer. So is really our fault as the youth of the nation to be consider addicts when we are practically forced by society to use these products in order to survive? I remember the good old days when I handed in a printed paper to my teacher when it was due. Now there's the Angel dropbox for that.

4 comments:

Paige Anderson said...

I think that society today has a little bit of an addiction and an adaption to technology. I definitely agree that we must be able to multi-task in order to function in today's society. Whenever I am doing homework on my computer, I have my Facebook and g-mail accounts up, just in case someone tries to get in contact with me. My parents and grandparents always give my cousins and me a hard time at family functions because our cell phones are always with us. A few hours without my cell phone or internet access leaves me feeling disconnected from my social network. The first thing I do when I finish up my 3 or 4 hour track practice is turn on my cell phone to check my texts and e-mail.
I don't think this is anyone's fault in particular though. I think that times just change and, if we don't change with them, we fall behind.

Conor Hall said...

While reading the article I also noticed I had my facebook, gmail, and youtube accounts open. I think that, calling it an addiction goes a little too far though for the mass crowds, it is more just becoming an essential way of life. An addiction to the internet would mean that you do things like skip class, or stop going out, or seeing friends so that you can be on the internet. Internet addicts cannot be without it and will become stressed if they go without it. So to say that Americans or the proverbial "we" are addicted to the internet goes a little far. How many of you often find yourselves skipping a tailgate, party, or outing with friends so you could be on the internet, or use technology? technology in this day and age is becoming a neccessity so to say that we are addicted to it is to say that we are addicted to technology is like saying we are addicted to clothing, or cars.

David T. said...

You mentioned that when using all different sorts of technologies that you feel as if you are accomplishing something. I too feel that way sometimes, checking facebook and email as if it qualifies as actually doing work. We have fallen victim to the illusion that these technologies create. We may feel as though sending a message on facebook or sending an email is a productive task but in the end it is just another way to procrastinate. I often wonder what college for our parents or grandparents would be like. On the one hand, using computers for school makes everything a little bit faster, easier, and more convenient. However, I'm not sure that these benefits outweigh the cost of time that we spend procrastinating that could have been spent doing work. Living in mainstream America, it is hard not to buy into this illusion and it is hard to blame students like those in the article for neglecting their work as a result of technology.

Kyle said...

We are most definitely addicted to technology. Most people, myself included, prefer to have music or the tv on when doing homework, and constantly switch between websites or other forms of technology on a constant basis. I agree that this makes us feel productive when we are actually procrastinating. Realizing this, though, has allowed me to move away from dependence on technology .