We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grammar Nazi

I thought this video was funny. While correcting Hitler's grammar in a crisis situation may be a bit of an exaggeration, it made me think about how distracting poor grammar can be. When I am having a conversation with a friend, I sometimes find myself distracted if they choose to say "good" rather than "well." I know that no one can speak perfect English, and there are probably errors in this post. Although grammatical errors are unavoidable, they certainly are distracting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fbrUjjivw

3 comments:

Conor Hall said...

I am the exact same way with the word irregardless, which I don't think is necessarily incorrect, but my eyes just glaze over and I can't focus whether it be an important meeting with a manager, or in a lecture class. Something about it just rubs me the wrong way and makes me think that the person saying that is stuck up and trying to sound smarter than they actually are.

Eddie said...

As a lover of grammar and Taratino films, I'd suggest this video for further exploration into the "Grammar Nazi" subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM&feature=fvwrel

As a lot of people have said, we as English or Journalism majors are probably hypersensitive to the prescriptive rules of grammar. My take on it is that we shouldn't police spoken word, but enforcing certain norms to keep written communication coherent is vital.

Justin Zickar said...

Looking at this, I can't help but think about everytime I send a text message on my phone. It's one of those things that I feel I have to do correctly everytime I send it, no matter who it is to. I mean, being a journalism major, I invoke that from the way I write.