We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

My first impressions of the Amish

Just in case you don't think that there are Amish stereotypes out there, here's an episode of one of my favorite cartoons growing up. This is basically what constructed my early thoughts on the Amish, though I think I was old enough to know that not everything was true due to the satirical nature of the cartoon.



http://video.alege.net/filme-animatii-ro-1364-Dexters-Laboratory-Ol-McDexter.html

3 comments:

cortney said...

I almost forgot about this show! I have to say that I love Dexter's facial expression as he awaits for his "bus to camp". I found it funny how long the ride was and how it makes me think Amish have such a slow pace life, in regards to traveling. Though we know that Amish don't totally isolate themselves from the world, we see that coming out in the cartoon. We imagine them to be separate when really they are apart of a community all their own. I do have to say that when the father says, "We strive for simplicity" that reminded me of the article we read in class. The Amish lead simple and plain lives but they don't necessarily alienate their families from people who aren't Amish.
The whole cartoon did make me laugh! Dexter's character, in relation to being evil, also was very comical!
I guess what one can learn from this is sometimes we see Amish from a one-sided view. I can see how people can view Amish the way the video depicted them. We are only outside viewers coming up with our own ideas about the Amish.

Andrea Hlebica said...

I too forgot about this show. My brother used to love it and therefore I was forced to watch it often. As I watched it I remembered seeing it years ago, and how it greatly influenced my perception of the Amish. The media has this effect, especially on young children who don't know better nor watch with caution. Watching the video when I was younger I enjoyed the clip and found Dexter's experience intriguing. Watching it now made me upset because it does not give their lifestyle justice- though DeeDee ends the episode saying the "farm" beats her space trip, Dexter, and the audience therefore, would disagree. As we are well aware from the videos we watched in class of Rumspringa, the Amish do know what fun is, though when Dexter initially asked the young boy he seemed to not know what the word meant, and proceeded to show the most fun they have as churning butter. The video was unsettling in regards to the negative connotation it gives the Amish lifestyle. Putting this in perspective as a future teacher, the instructor must be aware of the lens they place upon their students and to strive for open perceptions, not single minded views that narrow ideas to one side, as this episode of Dexter did.

Paige Anderson said...

Oh wow, I definitely loved this show when I was younger too. The shows we watched when we were younger (and even today) have such a powerful impact on our minds and judgments. Everything about the Amish world depicted in the show is slow-paced and desolate (including the voices of the Amish). And their idea of "fun" is churning butter. It's definitely funny to watch because I now know that all of these stereotypes and depictions aren't true, but I'm sure that children grew up with this image in the back of their minds.