We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Appreciation of Education

After reading the first few chapters of Frederick Douglass' narrative, I was shocked at the undercover measures that had to be taken in order for slaves to become literate. Douglass understood that the ability to read and write was the first step toward freedom. To work toward this goal, he would steal his young Master's old spelling books and practice writing words over and over again until the words looked similar to those of which his Master transcribed in the book. He would also ask young white boys walking home from school to help him learn to write the alphabet or a word on a sidewalk or wall. He said that a slave could write better than them when in reality, he only wanted to learn what they knew.

Thinking about my own literacy journey, I most definitely have taken for granted my education that was so easily handed to me. I never had to challenge anyone to teach me, and I sure didn't have to steal books to teach myself. When I was younger, I just assumed that literacy came with being human and learned what I needed, but I never once really appreciated the instruction or thought about what it would be like if I didn't have the teachers or materials I needed.

More broadly, I think most children in American society take their education for granted. They come to school with a lazy attitude, don't do the work required, and "float" through each day of their primary and secondary schooling while just trying to "get through it." As a future educator of English in an American high school, I think it is my duty to make my students understand that they are the lucky ones, getting instruction handed to them so easily. Perhaps in the beginning of each school year, I will make my future classes read Frederick Douglass' narrative in order for my class to appreciate the education they receive and to learn all they can.

No comments: