We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Making America Proud?

After reading "America At Risk" and the whole Sputnik buzz, the one question going through my mind was why would literacy ever be considered a trait of patriotism? What ever happened to contributing and loving your country? The whole pressure of becoming literate to make your country proud, let alone making your parents proud, just astonished me. Yes, literacy can be helpful for one's success, but as a form of serving your country? Leave politics with politics and leave education for educators to worry about.

Literacy can help a person make the better of him or herself and for a brighter future. But, to me, kids don't really understand that concept. They are told to learn to read and write because they need to, not why they should. Some compromise and do as they are told like I was for being required to write in cursive writing. In elementary school and middle school, my fellow classmates and I were told that there will be no other form of writing other than cursive in the future once we go off to high school and college. Let's just say my teachers were wrong. Instead of continuing to write in cursive, I incorporated my own style of writing which puts cursive and print writing together. I believe learning in general can be like that. If I don't understand the lesson my professor is giving me, I take the main point of the lecture and create my own lesson out of it to help me understand it better. Students need to find their own unique way of learning instead of following the formal structure and getting lost in the long run.

But more important, students need to find their motivation. I knew what I needed to do once I discovered what I wanted to do with my life. So my dream career is my motivation. People shouldn't be so consumed of what others think of them, like what American politics might think in regards to being viewed by the global eye. All in all, we should focus on our students as individuals, not as a whole nation. That's why illiteracy is such a national issue. If one student is having issues, it will only be that student. But if more than one are having issues, then it's the teaching system and if it's not alternated, the number in illiterate students would increase.

1 comment:

Mya Poe said...

There are a number of different threads in this post, so let me focus on two points:

(1) The relationship between education and politics. What is the content of politics? Politicians need issues, and one of the common issues they focus on is education. So, why is education so tied to politics is the US? One way to think about that question is to consider compulsory education. If everyone has to go to school and we use our tax dollars to pay for education, then shouldn't we have a say in education? if education were privatized, do you think it would remain such an important topic in political debates?


(2)"[Kids] are told to learn to read and write because they need to, not why they should." I like this point. Often when we teach, we explain what students should do not why they do those things. And when we do explain "why"," we rely on explanations of personal development (roughly, morality) or education. Why else might kids need/want to read? Can you change the world through literacy? Can you create a more civil society? Why are those conversations not part of our national discourse on literacy?