We frequently hear critics argue that U.S. students can’t write well and that there is a “literacy crisis” in the U.S. What is the origin of these discourses? What do they have to do with immigration, national security, and economics? How does the notion that Americans can’t write drive the national push to test writing? Here we explore the history of writing and testing in the U.S., the “science” and technology of testing approaches, and how the rhetoric of assessment impacts the lives of Americans today.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Education Reform

This is a pretty cool video I saw in another class but which applies to our class as well. Check it out.

2 comments:

Mya Poe said...

I saw this video, too, and think it is so interesting. It makes that connection between education and economics--the production imperative.

Kelsi Chuprinski said...

I agreed with most of what the speaker said. A quote I pulled from this video that I found most interesting was that “our children are living in the most intensely-stimulating period in the history of the Earth.” I can’t see our society getting any less stimulating from year to year, so I’m sure this “stimulating period” will continue to grow. Therefore, we can’t depend on the pedagogy that we used when my parents were growing up. We need to mold and adapt how we teach in the current time period to interest students. I really liked when the speaker said that students are bored in school because there are so many other more stimulating things to do. We can’t expect kids to honestly be interested in what they are learning. I think a new wave of pedagogy is needed to bring our simulated kids back into the realm of enthusiastic learning.